The Davao Regional Medical Center (DRMC), formerly Davao Regional Hospital (DRH), is a Level III Department of Health (DOH) teaching training hospital that was established by virtue of Republic Act No. 5702 (An Act Establishing a National Hospital in the Municipality of Tagum, Province of Davao, to be Known as Davao del Norte National Hospital) on June 21, 1969. It was only in June 1972 taht the hospital was organized with an authorized 50-bed capacity and out-patient services at Toribio Building in Poblacion, Tagum. It was formally opened to the public on January 26, 1974.
Davao Regional Medical Center is situated on a 67,954 square meter parcel of land located in Barangay Apokon, Tagum City. The catchment areas of DRMC are the provinces of Compostela Valley, Davao del Norte, Davao del Sur and Davao Oriental. Its functions as a tertiary hospital are dedicated for service, training, and research.
HISTORICAL MILESTONES & ACHIEVEMENTS
• June 21, 1969 Republic Act No. 5702 was created establishing a National Hospital in the Municipality of Tagum, Province of Davao, to be known as Davao del Norte National Hospital.
• DRH was reclassified from provincial hospital to a regional hospital, thus, renaming Davao del Norte National Hospital to Davao Regional Hospital with a 100-bed capacity through Administrative Order No. 83 s. 1980.
• Surgical Networking Extension Program became the flagship program of Davao Regional Medical Center performing major and minor operations in far-flung municipalities.
• January 14, 1992 Republic Act 7179 was created increasing the bed capacity of the DRH from 150 to 200 beds.
• January 1992 The Department of Internal Medicine residency training program was fully accredited by the Philippine College of Physicians (PCP).
• July 1992 The Department of Pediatrics residency training program was fully accredited by the Philippine Pediatrics Society (PPS).
• September 1996 The Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology residency training program was fully accredited by the Philippine Obstetrical and Gynecological Society (POGS).
• October 1997 The Department of Anesthesia residency training program was fully accredited by the Philippine Society of Anesthesiologists (PSA).
• Hemodialysis service was offerred at DRH.
• December 2000 The Family and Community Medicine residency training program was fully accredited by the Philippine Academy of Family Physicians (PAFP).
• November 2001 The Department of General Surgery residency training program was fully accredited by the Philippine College of Surgeons (PCS).
• In 2010, Neuro-Surgery residency program was accredited by the Philippine Society of Neurological Surgery (PSNS).
• Renal Dialysis Unit was acredited by the Renal Nurses’ Association of the Philippines (RENAP).
• September 23, 2010 DRH was accredited as the Center of Safety by the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PHIC).
• January 2011 The Department of Ophthalmology residency training program was fully accredited by the Philippine Academy of Ophthalmology in consortium with the Southern Philippines Medical Center.
• January 8, 2012 The Cancer Center for Mindanao was inaugurated and became the first government cancer facility in Mindanao.
• November 2002 First Kidney Transplant was performed at DRH.
• Surgical Oncology fellowship program was accredited by the Surgical Oncologist Society of the Philippines.
• Davao Regional Hospital and Davao Oriental Provincial Hospital Family and Community Medicine Residency Extension Program was recognized by the Philippine Academy of Family Physicians (PAFP).
• July 2013 The first Deceased Organ Retrieval was performed at DRH.
• July 2014 The Hospice and Palliative Care Program started at DRH.
• Ambulatory Center and Hostel was inaugurated.
• August 26, 2015 Republic Act No. 10678 was created converting the Davao Regional Hospital into Davao Regional Medical Center with a capacity of six hundred (600) beds.
• Animal Bite Treatment Center was issued with Certificate of Quality Service by the Department of Health
• January 21, 2016 The Certification International Philippines (CIP) awarded the Davao Regional Medical Center an ISO 9001:2008 certification.
• January 2018 The Department of Radiology residency training program was fully accredited by the Philippine College of Radiology (PCR).
• DRMC was a recipient of the DOH 30 Star Awards for Level III Category.
• November 27, 2018 DRMC received the Governance Trailblazer Gold Award for Performance Governance System Compliance Stage.
• January 21, 2019 The SOCOTEC Certification International awarded the Davao Regional Medical Center an ISO 9001:2015 certification.
• September 17, 2019 DRMC was a DOH 30 Hospital Star Awardee for Level III category for the second time.
• October 8, 2019 Inauguration and Blessing of the DRMC Ward Extension Infirmary at Barangay San Isidro, Sawata, Davao del Norte.
• October 8, 2019 Inauguration and Blessing of the Kidney Center
• October 21, 2019 Inauguration and Blessing of the Malasakit Center
• November 18, 2019 Recognition of DRMC for Level 2 PRIME-HRM Accreditation
• April 7, 2020 Inauguration and Blessing of the OB Complex